The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta is looking for a highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our Production team as Assistant Production Manager. This is a full-time position starting June 5, 2023.
The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, a House Series, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical, and, assorted other projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
The Citadel complex includes:
- The Shoctor Theatre – a proscenium stage with 686 seats
- The Maclab Theatre – a thrust stage with 685 seats.
- The Rice Theatre – a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre
- The Tucker Amphitheatre – an open-air multi-functional area which seats 150.
- Zeidler Hall – a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures
- The Lee Pavilion – a beautiful indoor garden.
The Assistant Production Manager reports to the Director of Production (DP) and Technical Director (TD) in ensuring high quality productions and making appropriate, effective, and safe use of our facilities and human and financial resources. The Assistant Production Manager must be ready to take a proactive role in creating a respectful and positive workplace where all our stakeholders are excited, connected and invested in the work of the theatre.
Under the direction of/in collaboration with the DP and TD:
- Representative of the Production Department during rehearsal, technical rehearsals, and meetings.
- Coordinating activities related to Citadel Theatre productions.
- Participate, as required, in aspects of design, construction and technical aspects of production.
- Researching, costing, and purchasing of materials, equipment, and theatrical techniques when requested.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient operation of facilities and equipment.
- Supervising the arrangements for and effective and efficient operation of get-ins, fit-ups, sound checks, installations and strikes for Citadel Productions.
- Participate, as required, in managing staffing to ensure appropriate technical staff are present to meet the technical and production needs of the Citadel.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, licensing, and safety requirements, IATSE agreement, and company policies.
- Read and abide by Citadel Theatre policies and procedures.
- Liaising with and supporting production creative teams
- Facilitating inter-departmental communication between artistic, creative, administrative and production personnel
- Participate on Citadel Theatre’s safety Committee.
- Assist DP with contract negotiations and writing of contracts.
- Minimum 5 years of technical experience in a theatre setting.
- Post-secondary technical theatre training, Stage Management, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of production techniques and theatre equipment.
- Certified with First Aid; Fall Protection training is an asset.
- Strong team leadership and people skills
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Required to work evenings and weekends.
- Experience working with IATSE, CAEA, ADC
- Proficiency of Excel, Word; Working knowledge of Vectorworks and / or AutoCAD is an asset.
- A cheerful outlook.
This is a full-time, permanent position working 40 hours per week and includes benefits. Annual salary for this position is $50,000.00 but may increase with experience.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume by April 10, 2023, to Human Resources at email@example.com
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request. The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers, and internal / external parties. Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.