The Citadel Theatre, one of Canada’s largest and busiest professional, not-for-profit theatre companies and facilities, is currently seeking a creative, dynamic, and collaborative individual to serve as its next Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors, and working in partnership with the Artistic Director, the Executive Director will be responsible for managing the operational components of the Citadel Theatre. The Executive Director will be a leader in the Edmonton arts community with a strong desire to engage with theatres across Canada and Internationally. The ideal candidate will have a drive to build public and private sector support to deliver on strategic priorities and embrace collaboration with the Citadel Theatre team to maximize earned and contributed revenue while achieving organizational success.
As the management leader of Citadel Theatre, the Executive Director will play an active role as a thought-partner in planning for the organization’s overall advancement. Supporting and partnering with artists, staff, board and volunteers, the Executive Director will operationalize the strategic plan while building a thriving, creative and diverse culture serving artists, audiences, stakeholders, and the Edmonton community. The Executive Director will conceptualize and implement a plan to continue to grow Citadel’s objectives while leading and motivating a highly effective management team in devising and realizing successful strategies.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for a professional arts executive who can bring together their vision, experience, and passion for theatre in Edmonton and Canada. The Executive Director must have an interest in theatre, will want to invest themselves in the success and growth of the Citadel Theatre and will find personal fulfillment in being part of the future.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to the Citadel Theatre’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director is Citadel Theatre’s guiding management leader and equal partner with the Artistic Director. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the management of the Citadel’s marketing, finance, business development and planning, community engagement, and facility management activities. The Executive Director works collaboratively with the Artistic Director, acting as co-CEO in taking the Citadel into its next period of growth and success by implementing an organizational strategy that embraces entrepreneurism, creative thinking, and partnerships.
Strategy and Leadership
• Embody and provide positive and collaborative leadership to the staff and board.
• Provide strategic vision and develop goals and objectives consistent with the mission of Citadel Theatre.
• With the Artistic Director, serve as a chief spokesperson and ambassador for Citadel Theatre with a visible presence in the local, regional, and national theatre and arts scene.
• Develop an organizational culture that supports a cohesive, creative, and productive staff that embodies the highest ethical standards.
• Utilize a transparent leadership approach in collaboration with the board of directors, committees, community partners, donors, staff, and other stakeholders.
• Possess an ability to inspire and engage stakeholders, the community, and the region to support Citadel Theatre.
• With the Artistic Director, implement a strategy to broaden the programmatic model to grow the organization, increase engagement with community members and stakeholders, and capture the attention and participation of new residents given the changing demographic profile in Edmonton.
• Identify opportunities, plan, and implement collaborations and events which advance Citadel Theatre.
• Provide day-to-day financial management and accounting, ensuring transparency, integrity, and accuracy in all financial reporting.
• Manages the preparation of quarterly and annual deliverables for internal financial reporting to the Board of Directors.
• Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to the Board of Directors.
• Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
• Oversees the operations of administrative department including the design of an organization structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
• Identify and implement opportunities for process improvements and increased efficiency.
• Review and document business and reporting processes, develop and implement modifications to improve efficiency and accuracy of internal controls.
• Oversee budgeting, accounting, and payroll, as well as manage investments, and cash flow, to ensure sufficient funds to meet operating needs.
• Review all business contracts and agreements, ensuring accurate preparation and execution.
• Together with the Artistic Director, conceptualize, implement, and execute a long-range facility development vision/plan that will preserve the unique asset while opening avenues for new income sources and asset utilization.
• Develop/oversee the facility capital maintenance program and day-to-day facility operations.
• Develop and communicate key matters to be addressed with the Board of Directors at regular Board meetings.
• Lead the preparation of financial information to influence Board decision-making.
• Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of the company.
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors, to develop the organization’s strategic plan and goals.
• Nurture the involvement of the Board in donor development and skillfully harness and direct that support.
• Ensure accurate and timely reporting on finances, financial and operational performance, and related administrative matters between Citadel Theatre’s administration and the Board.
• Collaborate in the identification and recruitment of prospects for Board membership and partners with Board committees to develop and implement their respective goals and objectives.
• Collaborate in the ongoing development and implementation of inclusion, diversity, equity, access activities and initiatives.
Marketing and Audience Development
• Develop, in collaboration with the Director of Marketing, a comprehensive, integrated, and strategic marketing plan that aligns with the artistic vision and communicates the organization’s brand and programs to a wide range of audience members, donors, students, partners, and other stakeholders.
• Expand the use of digital content and contemporary outreach strategies to increase customer and stakeholder engagement and market reach.
• Develop strategies to connect with the changing demographics of Edmonton.
• Assess and adapt audience engagement plans based on the markets served, addressing the distinctive community features of Edmonton.
• Develop, expand, and fortify the existing relationships to advance educational and connectivity initiatives.
Management and Empowerment
• Supervise in partnership with the Artistic Director, a diverse staff, including professional, creative, technical, administrative, front of house, maintenance, and volunteer workers, to ensure patrons, artists, students, and community members have a welcoming and high-quality experience.
• Develop and implement business and operational plans based on the strategic direction.
• Cultivate an organizational climate and culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse top-quality staff.
• Lead and inspire the Citadel Theatre staff, promoting staff growth, development, and education.
• Empower all staff members to work at their highest potential to realize success with organizational priorities.
• Empower those at all levels of the organization to have a voice in its future and provide mentorship to build and secure a sustainable team.
• Establish accountability measures while actively ensuring a safe and healthy work environment.
• Support team ingenuity and professional development with appropriate human resources, structures, systems, and technological platforms in alignment with current and future trends in the theatre field.
• Foster the ongoing development of the team by providing day-to-day direction.
• Support continuous improvement and team building that encourages an effective and rewarding organizational culture for the staff.
• Provide leadership to the team, ensuring they have the tools and skills necessary for the development and implementation of their respective goals and objectives.
• Keep the office team updated with emerging priorities and assist them in modifying plans and practices as required.
• Collaborate with Human Resources to develop and implement human resource policies including performance management, performance reviews, coaching, and mentoring plus all other policies relevant to personnel employed or contracted by Citadel Theatre.
Fundraising and Inclusion
• Develop fundraising strategies and provide organizational leadership in all aspects of development.
• Inspire and engage stakeholders and the community to support positive fundraising efforts for Citadel Theatre.
• Collaborate with the board and staff to develop short- and long-term goals and strategies around all areas of contributed revenue.
• Maintain and increase strong ties with community decision-makers, government leaders, and the arts community in achieving mutually beneficial outcomes.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Qualified candidates will have at minimum:
• 7 years of progressive experience with increasing responsibility in a management leadership role, in theatre, performing arts, education, or the non-profit sector.
• Superior written/verbal communication skills and experience collaborating with high-level, respected volunteers are required.
• Expertise in and willingness to mentor and develop team members to create a high performing team.
• Exceptional management skills and value frequent interaction and collaboration with others.
SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS
Proactive, dynamic, independent, self-motivated, detailed, and people-oriented, the Executive Director will have exceptional management skills and value frequent interaction and collaboration with others. The Executive Director will be an experienced and entrepreneurial professional with the vision to actively pursue Citadel Theatre’s goals with creativity and determination and will have a high degree of personal accountability – with a commitment to exceeding expectations. This individual will balance tasks and projects with a sense of urgency and possess superlative interpersonal and communication skills that articulate compelling verbal and written messages for support. A self-sufficient and self-managed professional with a highly organized approach, the Executive Director will have the ability to achieve organizational objectives with artists, staff, board members, volunteers, donors, and prospective supporters. This individual will bring an affinity for Citadel Theatre’s mission and vision, a highly developed financial acumen and a passion for positively impacting the organization’s long-term success.
Other key Traits and Characteristics of the role include:
• Leadership – Organizing and influencing people to believe in a vision while creating a sense of purpose and direction.
• Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills – Cooperating with others to meet objectives and the ability to effectively communicate to build rapport while relating to many different people.
• Decision Making & Resiliency – Analyzing all aspects of a situation to make consistently sound and timely decisions with the ability to quickly recover from adversity.
• External Stakeholder Focus – The dexterity to anticipate, meet, and exceed stakeholder needs and expectations.
• Creativity & Innovation – Creating innovative approaches, programming, process, technologies, and/or systems to achieve the desired result.
The Citadel Theatre Executive Director Search is led by Martin Bragg and Nicola Dawes of Martin Bragg & Associates. To apply in confidence please email your letter of interest and resume in Word or PDF format to Martin Bragg & Associates at: email@example.com. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive an acknowledgement of their application. No phone calls please.
The review of applications will begin immediately and the deadline for applications is February 5, 2024.
An annual salary, of $170,000 – $190,000 commensurate with experience, with four weeks of paid vacation and extended Health, Dental and RRSP plans.
Citadel Theatre and Martin Bragg & Associates are committed to an open and transparent hiring process and encourages applications from our diverse community. We welcome all applications from women and gender nonconforming people, people of colour, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of Citadel Theatre. The Board of Directors, management, and staff of Citadel Theatre, in recognition of local, national, and international initiatives, both within and outside of the theatre community, remain focused on reviewing and evaluating Citadel’s policies, activities, resources and measures of success, to ensure they create, support, and maintain an engaging and inclusive environment for all. Citadel Theatre acknowledges the 35//50 Initiative and are analysing their processes and developing a plan of action.
The Citadel Theatre wishes to acknowledge that the land on which we gather is Treaty No. 6 territory and a traditional meeting ground and home of the First Nations, including both the treaty signatories – Cree, Saulteaux, Nakota Sioux, Stony and Cree-Iroquois – as well as other Indigenous peoples, such as the Blackfoot and Métis, who occupy this land. We extend our appreciation for the opportunity to live, create and perform on this territory.
Nikistêyhtamâkânân oma askîwihtâwin ita kâ mâwasakôyâhk Nikotwâsik Kâ akihtêk omâmawôpayônôwâw Nistam Îyinôwak, nânapo ôkih tipahamawâkan tahkikwanênkêwak-Nêhîyawak, Nahkawînôwak, Opwâsîmowak, Asinî Pwâtak êkwah Nêhîyaw Paskosikanak-êkwah kotakak Îyinôwak, tâpiskôc Kaskitêwayasitak êkwah Âpihtwâyak, kâkîh kikîwîhkêcik otah. Nitâniskê nanâskôtênân tawâw ôtah êh ayâyâhk tita wîci pimâtisîhtamâhk, tita osîhcikêyâhk êkwah tita nôkohtihiwêyâhk otah askîwihtâwinihk.